My goal is to research "story." In doing that I have been reading the following:
Syd Field's The Screenwriter's Workbook (2006) / Screenplay: foundation of Screenwriting: A Step-by-Step Guide from Concept to Finished Script (1994) / Four Screenplays: Studies in the American Screenplay: An analysis of four groundbreaking contemporary classics: Thelma & Louise; Terminator 2; The Silence of the Lambs; Dances with Wolves (1994) / The Screenwriter's Problem Solver: How to Recognize, Identify, and Define Screenwriting Problems (1998)
I have also been looking at Jeffry Schechter's website and downloading some of his writing aids: http://www.mscbuys.com/guide
I have been reading http://www.dailyscripts : Aaron Sorkin's "Social Network" and am reading Tony Gilroy's "The Bourne Supremacy."
Do I feel any better about taking too long to pull together what I feel is a camera ready story? Yes, I do.
What I am clear on is that I require a vast amount of back up to quell the doubts:
"No one is taking you seriously anymore, Lynn."
"You will not finish this play--it will not sell."
"You are not smart enough to complete this project."
All those things said, what I feel is that I am so happy that somewhere inside of all the doubts is the promise of a finished, powerful story. It feels to me like someone four years old is speaking plainly to adults that would like to hope.
She's a powerful little four year old.
I take you seriously, lynn.
ReplyDeleteYou will finish it.
And you are one of the smartest people I know.
Love you.