Friday, September 23, 2011

Preparation

My brother, Mark, has been reading these blogs.
I said I wanted to write.  He said, "Okay, then where is your writing?"
Much of my time is spent in bed going over what the *screenplay will evolve into.
I look up words, read books that promote various structures, listen to Jon Stewart (yes this is a **distraction), listen to the screenplay read through the computer voice, think, think, imagine scenes.
Syd Field indicated that if he has a problem with a screenplay he will tell his dream world about it and ask for help. 
I like Syd Field.  He gets the harrowing, confusing, scary ennui that happens in the process of writing.  He's not afraid to say the dumb things that happened to him, or tell the dumb mistakes he's made.
Syd Field indicates that if there is problem in the play, then there is a solution.
I believe that things happen for a reason.  The reason may not be pretty, however, these "things" evolve into elegant solutions.
I was posting status (I think that's the way to put it) on Seattle's Jon Stewart's "Return to Sanity" site on facebook.  I can't recall what the seed article was that created a line of posting by individuals on facebook.  What I do remember is that there is a lot of hating on GOP (grand old party) by lefters and hating on Democrats by the GOP.  What I know about hate is that it gets my blood curdling.  I love to hate.  It makes me feel powerful.  My images are fun.  I feel like the little kid that writes so hard on paper that it tears.  I can turn that paper upside down and feel the hate on the bumps of the the pencil lines.
What I am clear on is that once the paper is turned over, that I can act.
When Denis Gullickson is angry at students, he is quiet.  He acknowledges the student.  The students will be past the hard lines of the pencil drawing.  Denis invites the seething student into his cubicle.  In psych terms he de-escalates the student. 
What I know is that hate is fun and it can turn into a holocaust.  Or it can turn into a screenplay.
Anger is good.  Kindness honors anger. 
I love you, Mark.

*screenplay   "Johnny Blood" (summer 2012)
**distractions can be good

1 comment: