Friday, August 3, 2012

Bad Writing_1

Bad Writing
How it is done.
Pen to paper.  Or finger tips to the computer alphabet keys. 
My brother, Mark, has the best pencil sharpener on the planet. 
It hangs upside down (actually it is designed to hang that way) in his laundry room.
It's been a rough summer.
I don't disarm IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) or have to grapple with the burka .
"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger" (Confucius).
I do wrestle with my finances (or lack thereof--the tiger) and with generalized fear (anxiety--the oppressive government).
I read Linda Seger.  She wrote that she didn't know that all people didn't eat hot dogs on Thanksgiving.  That her mother did not talk about finances.  Didn't want Linda to know that the family was short on cash.  I have passed the gift of fear onto my children. 
I am the new generation.  Female, divorced, and scared without the padding of the patriarchy.
I tell myself my feet do the walking.  Make the decisions.
I told my dad that there are stars watching over me.  He said he hoped he and Mom are some of those stars.
Of course he is right. 
My neighbor, Jerry, said that I can ask my dad for help. 
I did.  Dad sold my Packer tickets for a profit. 
Do I sell the farm?
I told my daughter Meghan that I was selling the farm every day in my head.  Perhaps it is time to walk.  Perhaps I have learned the lessons of boundarilessness with spending that I can actually say "No" when my financial boundaries are crossed.  Clean the cupboards, sell the piano.  Step one and two.
If not, say "No."

Word for the day
roup2    
noun
hoarseness or huskiness
(dictionary.com)

3 comments: